This past week has been difficult. My friend Kassi, who was in the x-ray program a few years behind me (we carpooled to EIRMC during her clinicals) was diagnosed with leukemia last October. After a long, difficult battle (and she gave 'em hell!), Kassi passed away on Saturday.
Kassi and I weren't very close friends, but she has made an impact on my life since I first met her. I have to admit that when I first met Kass when she was an x-ray student at EIRMC, I had my doubts. She was a beautiful former cheerleader, getting ready to marry her basketball star sweetheart. These doubts were quickly squashed as I learned that Kassi was a genuinely sweet, spirited, and happy person. She never failed to make me laugh and I was so inspired by the way that her eyes lit up whenever she talked about David and her daughter Payleigh.
I had the privilege to watch her grow as a healthcare professional and was amazed at her strength through her difficult second pregnancy. She powered through the last portion of her x-ray program, despite going on bed-rest and then Brailyn's very early birth. We didn't see much of each other after she graduated and moved to Salmon (and I moved to SLC), but I was always eager to see her Facebook and Instagram updates.
When she was diagnosed with leukemia last October and came down to Salt Lake for treatment, I was unsure of whether I should visit or not, as we hadn't kept in touch. Kassi immediately put those worries to rest with her big smile when I walked in the hospital room. I'm not sure that I would have been so positive with such a diagnosis. During each of my visits with Kassi, she always had a smile and that fierce determination, no matter how tired she was. I am very grateful for the friend, family, and community support system that she had during this time, especially David, who was always by Kassi's side and his parents who tried to keep Payleigh and Brailyn's lives as normal as possible and were always sending pictures of the girls and having them Skype together. I am also grateful to David for giving me a few minutes to see Kass last week.
Kassi will be missed terribly by so many people whose lives she touched.
![]() |
| This picture is so Kassi. Positive, strong, smiling, and beautiful. |
In happier news, I was able to see my friend Juliana on my way up to Ashton this past weekend. I have so missed her smiling face! I am so excited for new upcoming adventure to Denver. I definitely see some Salt Lake to Denver flights in my future. I was also able to talk to Andrea over the phone. She just had a baby girl and I've been 'aww'ing over her updates. I'm so terrible about keeping in touch with people, so it was nice to hear these two voices!
| Love this girl! |
![]() |
| Isn't Harper the cutest? |
I spent the rest of the weekend in Ashton with my family. My Grandma Genie had been in the hospital the prior weekend with pancreatitis, so I was more than happy to check up on her. Britni and Jeremy (and pups!) drove down from Pendleton, and my great aunt Carol and uncle Tom were both up from Las Vegas for visiting and bow hunting, respectively.
Favorite quotes from this weekend (AKA my nephews crack me up):Tom was showing us all the video footage from the camera mounted to his bow.
As the footage starts, we see an open field. Anthony: "I don't want to see the zombies. "
A dead tree is leaning against another tree.
Anthony: "See that tree? I cut it down."
The camera really picks up on nearby sounds, so you can hear Tom's breathing really well.
Charles: "Were you wearing a gas mask?"
At one point, Tom sets the bow (and camera) down on the ground
Anthony: "Is this where you got bit by a snake?" (Please note that he did NOT get bitten by a snake, nor were snakes ever mentioned in the prior conversation)
Sunday morning Britni and I woke up early to watch the sun rise at the cabin. After breakfast, we made our way to my Grandma and Grandpa Garz's farm for a visit. Gramie totally made my day with a set of vintage Pyrex bowls (still in their original box!). She definitely knows me and my obsession with old dishes!
We made it back into Ashton just in time to see my mom before she headed out to go grocery shopping and meet up with my brother in Idaho Falls. Brit caught a ride with her and I stayed to hang out with my dad and work on a few minor issues with my Forester.
We made it back into Ashton just in time to see my mom before she headed out to go grocery shopping and meet up with my brother in Idaho Falls. Brit caught a ride with her and I stayed to hang out with my dad and work on a few minor issues with my Forester.
| Cloudy sunrise |
| Indiana Jones, cat of massive proportions |
| Subi's on ramps and I'm drinking out of a Harley mug. Must be hangin' with my dad. |
| Nice to know she misses me when I'm gone |
| Doesn't she look so dainty? |


No comments:
Post a Comment