As most of you know, Britni is now a big, bad, license-carrying Physical Therapist and after many, many job interviews took a job in Pendleton, OR. Dustin and I took some time off to help her move, but her new job paid for a moving company to come load up her stuff and deliver it. Thursday Dustin and I headed up to Seattle to kill a few days before meeting up with Brit in Pendleton.
We met up with my friend (and former roomie) Ashley in Boise for a quick lunch and catch-up session before continuing on all the way to Silverdale, where we stayed at the home of my friend (also a former roomie) Jennine and her hubby Nick. Unfortunately they were out of town, so we traded a place to sleep for the watering of her garden (pretty sweet trade, right?).
Friday we caught the ferry into Seattle where we did a LOT of walking around. We hit up the Space Needle, Pike's Market, and Pioneer Square, to name a few. We also did a tour of underground Seattle, which was both entertaining and educational. If you are ever in Seattle, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you stay away from the screaming toddlers and walk down the stairs behind the wheezing, sweating, red-faced overweight man (so he doesn't fall on you when he finally goes down. Don't worry, he made it). Unfortunately we didn't buy anything at Pike's market (though they had lots of delightful wares like jams, fresh fruit and veggies, and spices. And yes, the fish too) because we still had to visit the Space Needle and the market was closed by the time we got back (insert sad face here).
Saturday we drove around the Olympic Peninsula through Sequim, Port Angeles, Forks (yes, the Twilight town. Can we say shit-hole?), and the Hoh Rain Forest (gorgeous!). Unfortunately one of the two short hikes was closed due to protective mama elk with babies. We continued on to Ruby Beach, which is supposed to have red sand. I saw an inkling of red at one part of the beach, so I'm guessing it comes in with the tide. Otherwise it was normal, brown sand. I love Oregon and Washington beaches because of the sea stacks and ocean round pebbles (despite the cold-ass water) and was not disappointed here. We also visited the Quinault Rain Forest, which was not nearly as impressive as the Hoh, but still pretty. We stopped to eat in Aberdeen (fantastic blackberry pie! I was in love!) before heading toward Portland to find a place to stay for the night. Obviously, it being 4th of July weekend and all, everyone was booked, so we found a rest area halfway between Portland and Pendleton, rearranged the Subaru, and slept in the back. It's a good thing Dustin and I are both short because most normal people would never have made this work! Did I mention that we pulled off the freeway multiple times to watch firework shows in random towns? Dustin loves his fireworks...
Sunday we met up with Britni in Pendleton for breakfast and a tour of the town. We met her new neighbor and his dogs Earl and Jack (best dog names ever!). I was proud to see Sophie (whom Brit had brought with her Saturday) got along well with both dogs, even though Earl was much bigger than her. We took Sophie and Kieko on a few different walks to see different parts of town, which they loved (even Kieko splashed around in the river a bit). We had dinner at the local brewery, which was delicious!
We headed home Monday afternoon, with a tuckered out Soph passed out in the backseat. We made it home just in time to put Sophie in the house (she hasn't decided whether she is afraid of fireworks or not) and run up to the fairgrounds to watch the fireworks.
Commence the photos:

No comments:
Post a Comment