The second half of December was a whirlwind of activity for us introverts. We've been taking Sophie out on any good air quality day we can get, but they've been very few and far between. We attended Dustin's work party, where I participated in my first white elephant gift exchange. We gave mustache cookie cutters (so tempted to keep them for myself!) and got a Christmas light net.
Our friends Cody and Beth came into town and I got to play with their black lab Lotus while they went snowboarding with Dustin (not enough snow yet for me to venture the slopes).
![]() |
| 8 years old and runs around like a puppy! |
![]() |
| Definitely tuckered out |
Sophie's December Bark Box came on Christmas Eve, so we opened it up for her. Then the kitties also insisted on opening a gift, so they got their new catnip mustaches. We decided to open our gifts on Christmas Eve too (except for the stockings; those must always be done on Christmas). I opened a pizza stone from my sister, Britni, which came in a ridiculously huge box. I want to try my hand at baking Artisan breads and my friend Jennine had suggested the pizza stone when we visited her forever ago. Teresa got me a bunch of Fiestaware to add to my collection (hello turquoise and lapis blue!).
Dustin opened his yearly gift of underwear and white undershirts (he got socks for his birthday). Then he opened his Star Wars Legos from me and it was all over. I actually fell asleep while he was putting them together. His present to me was a Kitchenaid mixer that I've had my eye on for years, but could never quite convince myself (or him) to spend that kind of money. Because of course, I had to have the Pro version. Because if you're going to spend that money, you better get the best quality, right? We ordered it online via Kohls because Dustin couldn't find the exact one I wanted in store and I got it not only on sale, but with an extra 30% off with my Kohls card. So it was still expensive, but a little better.
| Christmas Eve goodies |
Christmas day, we slept late and then made pancakes before getting our stockings down. Dustin also opened his other gift (some new shirts. Don't blame me for all the lame gifts. D never wants anything big) that had been put aside when he was assembling Legos and I was falling asleep. Sophie got a new collar and matching leash. Cosmo and Jade got (besides their giant tower) some more catnip toys and more empty boxes to play in. Then we walked Sophie so she could show off her collar and, when we came home, everyone took a nap (kitties included).
| New collar! |
| Post stocking naptime for all! |
The weekend after Christmas, we headed up to Idaho to spend some time with my family. Dustin's parents were off to Oregon and northern California to see Randy's mom and Teresa's dad, so we didn't get to see them at all. We did, however, get to see Taylor, Athena, Gudrun, and Jake. Saturday we drove from Pocatello to Ashton for the gathering of the Garz clan.
Before the full gathering, we were able to open presents with my parents, Brad, Kelli, Andrew and the kids. My parents got us a toaster oven (another kitchen item I'd been wanting for awhile) and some other goodies to go along with it. Don't worry, I had no issued getting all kitchen stuff for Christmas. In fact, I was a bit giddy about it. We got Charles the Disney Infinity game for the Wii. Juniper got some Calico Critters camper and motorcycle. Anthony got some Jake and the Neverland Pirates legos and a stuffed 'bad piggy' king of Angry Birds fame. We also got all the kids new shoes.
Gramie and Pa drove in the from the farm. Kenny, Tonya, and Bracken made it up from Rigby and JT, Denae, Aiden, Kaydance, and Allison also came over. Tawnya, Tracy and Teagan were in Rexburg, since Teagan had been admitted to the hospital for some diabetic ketoacidosis issues, but Victoria was able to bum a ride with Bob, Sandra, and Emily. Sarah, Kevin, and Layla were up from Boise.
Random highlights of the day:
Denae brought some Jello that had a round indentation in the center from the lid and the kids were thrilled that the Jello had a 'belly button'.
Tonya brought her family-famous huckleberry salad which, inconceivably, Dustin had never tried before. He was suspicious until he ate some and then announced "it's surprisingly awesome!".
Kenny made it his life's work to make sure that Sophie ate plenty of turkey because "Dogs need to eat lots of meat. That's why they have canine teeth". Dog turkey farts are gross. Just so everyone is well aware. I was really missing Britni at this point, because he usually just feeds Kieko.
That night, Juniper stayed the night and she watched Despicable Me 2 with me, Dustin, and Brad. It was so funny, because when she announced that we had to have popcorn, Dustin snorted and said "you're definitely a Garz". Dustin has become long-acquainted with the fact that Britni and I have an obsession with popcorn and cannot possibly watch a movie without it.
| Anthony, Juniper and Layla play with the Calico Critters camper |
| Dustin teaching Charles to kill zombies |
| And then Juniper tries her hand at zombie killing |
| The kids watching a movie while Anthony uses Sophie as a footrest. |


No comments:
Post a Comment