Unfortunately, it has gotten cold again the past few days (it snowed today!), so my little broccoli, onions, and celery are hanging out in their pots in my spare bathroom.
I've done container gardening the last two years, and it's been a pretty successful endeavor each year. The first year I only grew zucchinis, yellow squash, and regular tomatoes. Last summer, we added cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, ancho hot peppers, and eggplant. This year, I plan on nixing the eggplant (we just don't eat much eggplant) and adding quite a few more vegetables. I've already planted carrots, onions, broccoli, and celery. I also bought some watermelon seeds that I'll start inside (it's a long shot, but I'll try it!). I'm going to plant some companion flowers like marigolds and nasturtiums in nearby pots to keep the bad bugs away and entice the good bugs. I always thought my dad was crazy for planting marigolds all around our garden, but he knows what's up!
I just found out that the local community garden organization does a plant sale every May, so you can bet that I'll be checking it out in a few weeks. They have a crazy-big selection of tomatoes, so I'll be trying out a few different types (big 'ol beefsteaks and crazy-colored heirlooms, here I come!), and who knows what else will catch my eye.
I've learned a lot from Pinterest, but I've also been utilizing three container gardening books that I bought last year:
The Vegetable Gardner's Container Bible
Grow Great Grub
The Bountiful Container
My focus this year is going to be on organic care (eggshells and seaweed fertilizer, here I come!) and companion planting. If you grow certain plants (and flowers) near each other, they can provide benefits to each other. For example, marigolds and onions deter a lot of harmful bugs, and some flowers like bee balm (which I'm pretty sure is what's already planted in our rental's back yard) attracts those amazing little pollinators.
Look at all the new leaves!
My wee little broccoli and onions
Broccoli with celery and celery with onions.
No comments:
Post a Comment