Sunday, January 22, 2012

Single (pet) parenting


Dustin has been in Salt Lake for 2 weeks and I am still getting used to being a single (pet) parent.

Sophie and I have gotten our morning routine down pretty well:
I get up in the morning and get ready while Sophie sleeps in a bit. She goes outside with me to start the car. She comes back inside and sleeps some more. Then I drive her up to Dustin's parents' house to hang out with Grandma.

Afternoon/evening routine? Not so good: Sophie's used to being picked up around 4:30 in the afternoon, but I've been going to the gym most days right after work. This means that she is very perturbed when I pick her up at 6. By the end of last week, she just laid on the floor and wouldn't budge. Apparently she had decided she would move in with Grandma...

Sophie's lately popular pouty face

The poor cats have been neglected in all this, since Dustin is the one that interacts with them most. Cosmo's idea of snuggling with his mama is licking her face and laying on her arms so she can't get anything done. Jade is happy as long as I leave the blinds up so he can sit in the windowsill. They have been fighting over a shallow box I grabbed at Costco today to hold my fresh fruit. If I'd have known said box was the cat's meow (sorry, couldn't help myself!) I'd have grabbed two. Jade even chanced the punishment of the spray bottle for jumping onto the kitchen counter for this new bed.



Anyway, enough of me rambling about the animals. What have *I* been doing with myself? In addition to applying for jobs in SLC (which are few and far between), I've been cleaning and purging in anticipation of putting the house on the market. As soon as I clean a room, I hurry and take a photo before it clutters up again (I blame it on the pets). I've started a blog about the house, though it isn't finished since I haven't photographed the entire house yet. http://375JeffersonAve.blogspot.com is the URL in case anyone wants to check it out. The page has nice, clean pictures like this:

It does NOT have photos like this:

I spy with my little eye....one pouty red dog and one sneaky kitty under an ottoman

AAH! The spare room has born the brunt of my cleaning frenzy!

I had to box the books up because yesterday evening I had the thought to post our bookcases on Craigslist. I did NOT have the thought that I would receive two text messages inquiring about them that same night...

Dustin DID come home last weekend. Sophie was beside herself with joy at her daddy's reappearance. She and I were spoiled even more because Britni and Jeremy (and Kieko!) drove down from Pendleton for the weekend as well. We walked the dogs together, watched football, and just hung out. Needless to say, I'm feeling much more lonesome this weekend.

Sophie enjoying some Daddy loves

No comments:

Post a Comment