Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekends

As a part of her Christmas present, Dustin and I had presented his mom Teresa with a certificate for a trip to Jackson to watch a Jackson Moose hockey game. Keeping with our promise, we headed to Jackson Hole last Saturday, leaving the wild kingdom under the care of our friends Jake and Kristina. On the way, we found a cow moose and her (big) baby. We took a sleigh ride on the elk refuge, where there are about 6,000 elk wintering. My favorite was a bull with one of his antlers growing out of the center of his head, and the other growing on the side-top, like it's supposed to. We also drove around the backside of the reserve to check out the big horn sheep (which, to my knowledge, I had never seen in the wild before). We also found a coyote and two bald eagles. Afterward, we drove up near Grand Teton National Park and found ourselves another two adult moose. The hockey game was great! The Moose played a close game against Cleveland, and won in a shoot out. Dustin and I spent the whole game laughing at how excited Teresa was, yelling at the players.

We spent the night in Driggs before heading up to Grand Targhee on Sunday. I had a great first ski day of the season, though I did face-plant it off the chairlift when I got my ski stuck on top of Dustin's snowboard (second-to-last trip of the day, too). I'm sure it was quite spectacular and I know it was a bit embarrassing. On the way home we saw another four moose.


Dustin checking out some moose

The only sunny part of the day, and look what a beautiful view we got of the Tetons


My scary self-portrait with a view of the awesome Grand Teton visitor center in the background

Momma moose and baby moose

I think we were missed...


Monday night Pocatello got about 6 inches of snow. Sophie and Kieko watched me sweep off my car, and in that time they both accumulated about 1/4" of snow on their heads and backs. They make very cute little woolly mammoths.



Most of the snow had melted by the time I got my photo

This weekend will be very low-key as Dustin has been sick for a few days. Yes, sick enough to stay home from work and go to the doctor. From my knowledge he's only been conscious enough all afternoon/evening to eat a bowl of chili and take a shower.

Sorry, you'll have to turn your head to read it. I think Dustin is convinced he has the plague, so he doesn't want to touch anything that anyone else touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment