Saturday, November 12, 2011

New Orleans

Last weekend, Dustin and I went to New Orleans with his parents, brother Chad, our friend Taylor, and Britni & Jeremy. We met up with my cousin Macy and her husband Sean.

We flew in Friday night and, despite some fights with Randy's insistent use of his voice-activated TomTom (gag!) instead of one of the 5 iPhones in the car, met Macy and Sean for dinner at the Maple Leaf restaurant. I was super excited about getting my seafood on, and I wasn't disappointed. Dustin and I shared crab and shrimp Lafitte (yummy!). We made it an early night since we had all been up since 3 a.m. for the drive to Salt Lake to catch our flight.

Saturday we walked around Audubon Park before taking the street car into the French Quarter to do some sightseeing and shopping. I loved seeing the art displayed on the streets and wanted to bring a lot of things home with me. Dustin's favorites were the street performers. He found a duo that played Bohemian Rhapsody (one of his favs) on the guitar and violin and was super-excited. Britni and Teresa got their palms read by a very mediocre palm-reader (I was trying to keep a straight face the whole time).

We had lunch at Pat O'Brien's where Dustin and I tried a muffaletta (I wasn't a huge fan, sorry. And yes, we do frequently share meals) and a hurricane (I liked this much better). Can I say I love the "carry-your-alcohol-around-in-public-as-long-as-its-not-in-glass" rule? We also had beignets, which I was pleased to discover were just like the deep-fried 'scones' that I grew up with. Oh yah, we also had some absinthe at a bar in Pirate's Alley

After some sight-seeing, Dustin and I went with Macy to meet up with Sean and Taylor (who became BFFTWs, or best friends for the weekend) at Sean and Macy's friends' house for a football party for the Louisiana/Alabama game.

Sunday we all met up for breakfast at the Red Hen. Then we headed over to the Superdome for some pre-game partying in Champion Square. I was amazed at the size of the Superdome, and how steep the stairs are. The game was awesome, despite the fact that we had a Buccaneers fan with us (Dustin's brother, Chad).

After the game, Britni, Jeremy, Sean, Macy, Dustin, and I headed to Luke's restaurant for dinner, which was delicious. I had a fantastic steak, got hooked on raw oysters, and enjoyed some really good squash ice cream (it tasted lightly of pumpkin pie). Afterwards we parted ways with Sean and Macy to do some last-minute wandering of the French Quarter.

Sunday Britni and Jeremy left to do a swamp tour before catching their flight back to Portland. Dustin, Taylor, Teresa and I wandered the French Quarter again (can you tell I liked wandering around here? Just not Bourbon Street, yuck!) and did a cemetery tour while Randy and Chad did some frisbee-golfing (why you would want to waste precious vacation time playing this sport, I don't know but whatever floats your boat, I guess). We stopped at Church's Chicken (so I could finally try some fried chicken from down south) before heading to the airport, and unfortunately, back home. Did I mention that it was 65 degrees in New Orleans? There was snow in Pocatello when we got home.

Anyway, the whole trip was a blast and I would totally go back again!

Hard to see, but this bird totally ate a fish that was like 3 times the size of its head!


On the streetcar. I love, love, love the houses we drove by!

Taylor photo-bombing Dustin's muffaletta enjoyment

Pat O'Brien's hurricane. Yum!

This was written in the stall of one of the public bathrooms. I came out of the stall laughing my head off and a lady gave me a really weird look.

Saint Louis Cathedral. Gorgeous stain-glass windows inside.

Beignets!


Macy trying to feed Dustin a beignet


We girls were enjoying our pre-game daiquiris

We eat Bucs for breakfast!



Cotton candy, anyone?

Britni and Jeremy


Celebrating the Saints victory!


The Superdome at night


This is Grandpa Elliot. Dustin had seen him in a video on the internet over a year ago and was really excited to see him in person.

The Saint Louis cemetery


The tomb of voodoo queen Marie Laveau

This horrible monstrosity is the future resting place of Nicholas Cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment