Monday, September 9, 2013

Kingdom Ball, Garden, and Other Miscellaneous Happenings

The weekend after the Dirty Dash, my aunt Sandra, uncle Bob, and cousin Emily came down for the Kingdom Ball in Kamas. The Kingdom Ball is a renaissance costume-style party/dance that Dustin's work throws every summer for people with Down syndrome. One of Dustin's bosses adopted a boy with Down syndrome about 17 years ago. Jack inspired them to create this fun event three years ago and it's grown ever since. Dustin and I had the opportunity to help out with it last year, so we were excited to have Emily join us this year! 

Unfortunately the weather didn't really want to cooperate with us. When Dustin and I arrived a few hours before the event, the rain was just starting to pour down and the wind was trying to blow all the tents away. We hurriedly helped move the tables and chairs and set everything up inside. It was packed inside and the spiral staircase (did I mention that Dustin's workplace is built like a castle, complete with spiral staircase and knight armor?) was constantly packed and threatened disaster on the long dresses of all the ladies. 

The Lady Emily was resplendent in a beautiful gown sewn by Sandra, though the rain ruined her lovely ringlets before she could arrive. We all feasted on turkey legs, salads, potatoes, homemade root beer and miscellaneous desserts. After dinner, the sun decided to pop out and warm things up a little, so we moved the dancing outside. 

There was a lot of dancing, and a few group dancing games made up on the spot. I was expecting to see Emily's crazy dance moves that are famous at family weddings, but that evening she was surprisingly shy and reserved. Despite her timidness, Emily managed to get some dancing in and had a great time. I think that she may already be making plans for next year! 




The next day, Dustin and I drove back out to Kamas to have breakfast with Bob, Sandra, and Emily before they headed home. After breakfast we, having brought Sophie with us, drove to find a good hiking spot. We ended up on some unfamiliar roads in the boonies and, although we didn't end up hiking, we did see some pretty sights (and a moose in the road!) and Sophie got a noseful of wilderness smells.




The kitties were 'helping' us plan our vacation

Otherwise, we've just been trying to keep up with the vegetable garden, watching out for the rare appearance by our quail family, and planning for our trip to Glacier National Park (which will be chronicled in my next post)

Sophie doesn't understand why I spend so much time playing in the dirt



Another visit by our quail family

Sophie's August BarkBox. Lots of treats and a water toy. I guess I need to start giving her more treats!
You guys are seriously going to leave me for 9 DAYS?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment