Saturday, July 24, 2010

Wedding flower update

Here's a quick status update on my DIY flowers. As you may recall, I came up with the bright idea of growing my own dahlias for my wedding. Dustin and I grabbed a ton of tubers from Costco and dolled them out amongst my female family members. I also planted a fair number at my own house. All of my personal varieties are supposed to produce 8-10" blooms and I was getting pretty excited when one of my stalks grew about 3" tall and produced some buds. One of them recently bloomed and was pretty disappointing. My 8" bloom is more like a 1" bloom and it's a very dirty white.

Now, I'm starting to get a little nervous that my flowers are going to bloom too early (or too ugly) and/or won't produce enough blooms for my wedding purposes. I am now researching other resources for flowers, preferably dahlias. Sigh...

My 'white' dahlia. Note the nasty brown edges :(

This one seems a little more promising, although I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a light pink, not fuschia...


No comments:

Post a Comment