Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First dog grooming experience

Sophie's hair gets a little out of control by summertime (crazy long hair around her butt and elbows and between her toes), so I decided to take her to a groomer. I found a place online that was close to my house and had been given 5 star reviews, so I was pretty stoked to take her in.

I walked Sophie into the groomer's at 9 am and first thing, the lady tells me. "Oh no, she's not a chow chow dachshund mix. She's definitely a cocker mix." Ummm...ok, I wasn't expecting a lecture on what breed mixture my dog was, but whatever. She immediately takes Sophie in the back and kennels her where I can't see her AND THEN comes out and asks what I want done. Well, wouldn't it be easier if I showed you where her hair was long? So I say, well she gets hot in the summer and I'd like it a little shorter, but I'm new to the whole dog grooming thing so what does she think? "Well, if I cut her short her hair won't be as soft as it is now. And dogs pant for lots of other reasons too, not just when they're hot." Um, yes, I'm aware of that, but I don't want you to shave her, just trim. Then she gives me this huge lecture on dog grooming and how I need to tell her exactly what I want. "Sure, I'll use only scissors instead of a razor and it'll run you $120.

By this time, I'm pretty mad. I brought my dog in to get a haircut, not get bitched out and treated like I'm an idiot. So I take a deep breath and ask her to help the lady that came in after me. The only reason I didn't take Sophie back right there and then and tell the lady to go stuff herself was because the other customer was super nice and gave me some advice on what to tell the groomer to cut. THEN when I ask when I need to come pick her up, the groomer says, "Well we try to get to them whenever we can, so I'll give you a call. Hopefully before noon, but not for sure." HELLO! I brought my dog in at 9 a.m. and you're telling me it's going to take you THREE HOURS to "get to her". What's the point of making an appointment? I get better service as a walk-in at a doctor's office with a full waiting room in the middle of flu season!

Needless to say, I was very anxious the entire time I was waiting for them to call back. What if she was mean to Sophie? Would she flip out of she bit her? I was very relieved when I did, indeed get to pick her up around noon. I was pleasantly surprised at the trim job they had given her and they had even put these cute little bows behind her ears (although pink bows on a red dog? Ick!) which she promptly tore out as soon as we got to Teresa's house, so we could show 'Grandma' her pretty new 'do.

So overall, they did a nice job grooming but the customer service was crap because of the abrasive personality of the lady. Obviously she gets along better with animals than people. Will I be going back? Doubtful.

 Before:
Note the shaggy belly and butt and tufts of fur between the toes

After:
 Toe tuft free and nice, even fur
One of the little pink bows that had been in her hair

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it was such a bummer experience! I do know however that it usually takes a day to get our dogs groomed, so don't fret on that issue. I am glad some people like and have patience to groom dogs, ick! It is just too bad they don't acquire people skills as well, eh? Funny story! Hope the wedding plans are going awesome!

    ReplyDelete